Make your own, extra flavorful and all natural vanilla extract at home! It’s unbelievably easy and you’ll need just 5 minutes active time to do it.
Have you ever wondered why the all-natural vanilla extracts have to be so expensive? Then you bought the not-so-natural-but-cheaper version, found out it tasted terrible and had to go back to get the expensive stuff anyway? Well I have. More than once…(please tell me I am not the only one).
Fortunately, you don’t have to anymore! Making your own homemade vanilla extract is simpler than you might think. Besides, from now on, you will always know exactly, what is in you vanilla extract and how it was prepared. No more unpleasant surprises. And your bank account will thank you.
Based on your preference, you can also adjust the strength of the extract as well as its flavor. If you want a neutral, not too strong vanilla extract, use 2 beans for 5 ounces of vodka. If you are going for something more special and flavorful, add one more vanilla bean and swap vodka for brandy, whiskey or bourbon.
This homemade vanilla extract makes a great Christmas present too! Just pour it in fancy bottles and let sit somewhere dark. By Christmas time, the extract will be perfectly ready for use in your friend’s or family’s kitchen.
Don’t worry, you can make this as a present even if it is very close to Christmas (or any other gift-giving opportunity). Just combine the alcohol with the vanilla beans in a pretty jar and attach a note saying, when the extract will be ready for use.
- 5 oz (150 ml) vodka, bourbon or whatever alcohol you prefer
- 2-3 vanilla beans (the more you use, the stronger the flavor)
- Cut beans in half, scrape the seeds in a prepared bottle or jar.
- Add the beans (cut to smaller pieces if necessary).
- Pour over alcohol of choice.
- Close the bottle/jar and let sit in the dark for about six weeks.
- Strain if you like a clear extract, I prefer to leave the beans inside.
- Use in any recipe just like you would a store-bought vanilla extract or add a pretty ribbon and give away for a thoughtful Christmas present.
- Feel free to multiply the ingredients for more extract.
- Store in a dark place, the extract keeps very well for months.
Do you ever give homemade presents for Christmas?
Join over 2,600 food lovers
Get delicious & healthy recipes in your inbox every Sunday plus a FREE Guide to Healthy Sweeteners!