Extra thick, ice-cold and creamy, this papaya twist on pina colada is a refreshing, vitamin packed drink. Enjoy it as a morning smoothie or pour in some rum for a tropical party cocktail.
With all the exam preparation recently, all my brain can actually think about is lying on a beach, sipping a cocktail. Interesting how that happens at the end of every semester.
When it turned out papaya was on sale in the local store (yup, I’m cheap like that), I knew a pina colada remake was in order. I skipped the alcohol this time (although maybe the rum would make reading my lecture notes all the more enjoyable) but feel free to add some if you feel like partying a bit.
This papaya colada is completely plant-based and thus cholesterol free because you don’t need any cream to make it. A low-fat coconut milk is more than enough to bring on the satisfying richness.
- 1 medium (300g) papaya
- 1 cup (180g) frozen pinapple chunks (I used canned but fresh should do too, just pop them in the freezer for a few hours)
- 2 cups (480ml) light coconut milk (canned)
- 1 tablespoon healthy sweetener of choice
- optional: 2 ounces (60ml) rum
- coconut flakes for garnish
- Peel and roughly chop the papaya.
- Put all ingredients (except for the coconut flakes) in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Divide in two glasses, garnish.
Don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @winwinfood, and show off how you’re enjoying this healthy drink :)