This quinoa black bean salad is a super healthy, protein & fiber packed lunch or dinner that comes together in just 30 minutes.
I made a huge batch of this salad so I’ve been eating it for a few days now and you know what? It gets better and better every day!
Ok, I guess it wouldn’t work that way forever :D. But seriously, it makes wonderful leftovers. You’d think I’d get bored with it but I can’t stop eating it. It’s so fresh and light but satisfying and filing at the same time!
I even tried mixing this filling quinoa black bean salad with some greens for a lighter meal and it worked just as great!
The recipe is very simple (and versatile – use whatever veggies you have in your fridge) and you can whip up the whole meal in 30 minutes or less.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 2-4 cloves garlic
- 1 chili pepper (or more if you like it spicy)
- 1 and ⅓ cup (250g) quinoa
- 3 cups (720ml) vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons oregano (or another herb you have on hand)
- 3 cups (270g) broccoli florets
- 3 cups (500g) cooked black beans (I cooked mine from dry beans but canned should work too)
- 1 and ¼ cup (200g) corn
- salt & pepper to taste (I used 1 tsp salt and ¼ tsp pepper)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Chop the onion and chili pepper, mince the garlic cloves.
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium-high heat, add the onion, chili and garlic and fry for a few minutes until slightly golden.
- Add quinoa, the vegetable broth and oregano, bring to a boil, lower the heat to and simmer covered for 15-20 minutes until the quinoa absorbs the broth and is light and fluffy.
- Add the remaining ingredients and cook for a few more minutes until the broccoli turns bright green and slightly tender.
- Serve, top with your favorite healthy dressing if you like, sprinkle with vegan parmesan or enjoy just like that.
I like the salad plain but my boyfriend loves to sprinkle it with some vegan parmesan. You could even put a big dollop of guacamole on top (because avocado makes everything better).
View Quinoa Black Bean Salad’s Nutritional Information
Do you like your foods spicy or not so much?