Crispy and browned on the outside, creamy, smoky and cheesy on the inside, these sweet potato quesadillas will become an instant hit in your home. You can make them as spicy or mild as you want and need just 5 ingredients (plus salt) and 10 minutes to put them together!
These sweet potato quesadillas are one of those meals you can whip up in a flash after you get back from work. And despite the quick & easy prep, everyone will love them. The combination of crispy and creamy textures and the sweet, cheesy and smoky flavors with a bit of spiciness is a total crowd pleaser.
These are also very low fat, oil-free, nut-free and completely plant-based but taste as if you sneaked a generous heap of cheese into the filling. All thanks to one of my favorite superfoods: sweet potatoes. And, most importantly, nutritional yeast. I still can’t get over this amazing ingredient! So delicious but healthy at the same time <3
Cholesterol-free and nearly fat-free cheesy food? Where have you been all my life?
These are so addictive! We never have leftovers of these for the next day in my home. No, it doesn’t matter how many batches I make. They all disappear within minutes. It’s crazy.
If you use corn tortillas, you can also make these sweet potato quesadillas entirely gluten-free!
- 2 cups (400 g) baked or steamed sweet potatoes (canned sweet potato puree might work too, I haven't tried it, though)
- 6 tablespoons (42 g) nutritional yeast (I like the KAL brand more than Bob's but either will work)
- 2 tablespoons sriracha sauce (or to taste, this amount is for medium spiciness)
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika (you can omit but the smoky flavor is amazing)
- salt to taste (I used ¼ teaspoon)
- 6-8 large whole-grain tortillas (430-570 g)
- Combine the sweet potatoes, nutritional yeast, sriracha, smoked paprika and salt in a medium bowl and mash with a fork until smooth. You can also do this in a food processor if you prefer.
- Spread the filling evenly on 3 or 4 large tortillas, depending on how much filling you want in your quesadillas.
- Top each tortilla with a filling with one of the remaining tortillas and push together gently.
- Quickly toast on both sides in a nonstick pan (or broil in the oven) until crispy. I like to quarter the quesadillas before this step because it makes them easier to flip. You could also grill them instead. In any case, watch them closely, they like to burn pretty fast.
- Take off the heat and serve right away with fresh veggies, salsa, baked beans etc.
View Sweet Potato Quesadillas’ Nutritional Information
Need more weeknight dinner inspiration? Check out these 20 healthy vegan dinner recipes that only take 15 minutes to make!
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase via these links, I earn a small commission that helps me run this blog while the price for you remains the same. Thank you so much for supporting me!