Hearty and filled with warming spices, vegan chili is the go-to comfort food you won’t be able to get enough of.
I have never been a math enthusiast, but there are some equations that come naturally to me. For instance: January = comfort food. Bonus points if it’s healthy and easy to make comfort food.
This flavorful vegan chili is the recipe I make when I’m craving something rich and filling for dinner. It is the perfect weeknight meal – quick, simple, healthy and delicious.
Besides, it pays off to make a BIG batch because the leftovers taste even better the next day. Somehow, the flavors blend further for a fuller and richer taste.
So you’ve pretty much made yourself a great dinner AND an exquisite lunch for the next day. Or the day after, you can store this vegan chili in the fridge for at least three days. It freezes really well too.
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) coconut oil
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 11 ounces (300 g) firm tofu, crumbled
- 2 cans (800 g) canned tomatoes, chopped
- Seasonings: ½ teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon paprika, ½ teaspoon coriander, ½ teaspoon ground caraway seed or cumin, 1 and ½ teaspoon salt, chilli powder to taste OR use about 1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon of your favorite Mexican spice mix instead of the spices above
- 1 and ½ cup (260 g) cooked kidney beans
- 1 and ½ cup (250 g) corn, canned or frozen
- 2 red peppers, diced
- Heat the oil in a large, nonstick pan or pot.
- Add the onions and cook over medium heat until the start to turn golden.
- Add the crumbled tofu and fry for a couple more minutes.
- Pour in the tomatoes and seasonings.
- Simmer for 5 more minutes, so that the flavors come together.
- Mix in the beans, corn and peppers.
- Serve with your favorite side or just enjoy a bowl of this chili on its own.
What is your favorite weeknight dinner?
Join over 2,600 food lovers
Get delicious & healthy recipes in your inbox every Sunday plus a FREE Guide to Healthy Sweeteners!