Smooth, thick, creamy and ultra garlicky. This vegan garlic sauce is an amazing pasta sauce, a dip or even roasted veggie topping.
We have a rule about garlicky foods in my home. If one of use eats something with garlic, the rest of us have to do the same. That way, no one gets to complain about the bad breath of others :)
This vegan garlic sauce is indeed very garlicky but my entire family has no trouble complying to our rule. In fact, we typically compete about who gets to eat the leftovers. This stuff is just too addictive.
In any case, despite its exquisite taste, this vegan garlic sauce is probably not the best meal to devour before a first date *wink, wink*.
You can see how rich and creamy it is but that’s not thanks to heavy cream, butter or flour. Not even cashew cream. To make it accessible even to the nut-free of you, I based this sauce on sunflower seeds. They’re allergy friendly and also a lot cheaper than cashews!
On top of that, this sauce is completely vegan, gluten-free and can be paleo, soy-free, oil-free.
Aside from the seeds, all you’ll need for this vegan garlic sauce is garlic (surprise!), lemon juice, non-dairy milk, shallots and a bit of salt and pepper. Plus a high-speed blender. You can use a regular blender too, it just takes a bit longer and the sauce will be slightly less smooth.
You’ll notice I used LOTS of garlic in the recipe and you’re more than welcome to start out with less. You can always add some extra garlic powder at the end.
Also, I like to saute all of the garlic before adding it to the sauce but you can leave some of it raw. The difference os in flavor: while roasted garlic is more intensive in flavor, it’s not as pronounced in terms of spiciness. For extra heat, leave some of the garlic raw or throw in some extra raw garlic before blending.
- optional: 1 tablespoon olive or coconut oil
- 3 medium shallots (100 g), diced
- 1 head garlic (about medium 10 cloves), finely chopped
- 1 cup (130 g) hulled sunflower seeds, soaked overnight in water
- ¾ teaspoon salt (or more to taste)
- pepper to taste
- 2 cups (480 ml) non-dairy milk of choice
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice (or more to taste)
- Fry the shallots and garlic (in oil if using) over medium heat until fragrant.
- Transfer to a blender (high-speed such as Vitamix or Blendtec is best but regular should work too).
- Drain and rinse the sunflower seeds and add them to the blender along with the rest of the ingredients.
- Blend until smooth.
- Taste test and adjust the salt, pepper and lemon to your liking. You can also add some more raw garlic for extra heat. If the sauce is too thick for you, you can also add extra milk.
- Use right away on pasta, gnocchi, roasted veggies etc. or transfer to an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to 5 days.
View Vegan Garlic Sauce’s Nutritional Information
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase via these links, I earn a small commission that helps me run this blog while the price for you remains the same. Thanks so much for your support!
Join over 2,600 food lovers
Get delicious & healthy recipes in your inbox every Sunday plus a FREE Guide to Healthy Sweeteners!